Monday, March 2, 2015

2000 GP will slow you down



Encumbrance Rules suck. 

I understand and appreciate the point. 

1. A person can only carry a certain amount of crap before they suffer consequences 
2. In D&D those consequences are reduced movement. 
3. This forces another resource management choice to the game. 

I like resource management in theory, but I tend to forget it in play. 

I also use very loose movement rules, so reduced movement rates because you are carrying 40 pounds over your limit based on strength doesn't really work for me. 

I really do want my players making hard choices based on resources and resource limitation. (Do I carry this halberd or wear plate mail? Do I drop this sack of 2000 coins to escape the Carrion Crawlers or do I stand and fight? ) 


I tried to use the elegant Lamentations of the Flame Princess encumbrance rules, but again found them too fiddly in play. 


So I just wrote some new rules. 



Encumbrance


A person of average STR (no STR modifier) can carry 50 pounds of equipment plus arms and armor without being encumbered. For each point of STR modifier an additional +/- 20 pounds may be carried. (Example: STR 18/+3 allows 110 pounds of equipment, STR 3/-3 can carry 0 pounds of equipment without being encumbered.)


If you are encumbered movement is reduced by half (thus it takes two move actions to move one range band in combat), you suffer -1 to all d20 rolls, and skill/attribute checks will be more difficult.


Each point of STR bonus allows a character to carry one encumbering item without penalty. (Example: Ibash has a STR of 17/+2, he can carry a great-sword and wear heavy armor without incurring an encumbrance penalty.)

Some items and weapons will have a "tag" like the weapon characteristics of later editions. (I will likely elaborate more on this since I have abandoned variable weapon damage.)
One of these tags is "encumbering".

I will periodically look at a players equipment and judge if they have more than 50 pounds of junk.
Generally, coins weigh 1/10 of a pound each...

No comments:

Post a Comment